Feb 11th, 2014 by Andy Funnell
Could anyone help us date this photo (1) taken outside the Purley Arms, Brighton Road, South Croydon. We are trying to determine which of the men is John Upton Funnell, who was licensee from 1879 to 1920 (+ or – 1 year), succeeded by his son, John Ashby Funnell.
Census information in 1901 is as follows:
– John U. Funnell/Beer Retailer/57/Portsmouth, Hants,
– Eliza Funnell/Wife/29/Derby,
– John A. Funnell/Son/5/Croydon, Surrey,
– Thomas Coppey/Barman/44/Reading, Berks,
– Lilly F. Barnett/general Servant/20/Croydon, Surrey.
Is John Upton the one in bartenders livery or another?
The pub is still there today and the above picture (1), apparently, hangs in the bar.
Please do comment if you have any ideas, even guesswork.
(1) Provided by Kathleen Parrish
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.